Tori Sterling (StarCentral Magazine’s Beauty Guru of the Month for June 2013) was only 12 years old when she first came upon make up tutorials on YouTube. She had always been interested in the beauty industry. First wanting to be a manicurist, then a hairdresser, her interest then evolved to becoming a fashion designer and now a makeup artist. She now has her own makeup studio at her home where she aims to give young girls an affordable makeover for a special occasion. Added to that achievement, her fledgling YouTube channel now has nearly 8,500 subscribers! Not bad for the 15-year old from Pennsylvania, USA!
What first interested you in style/fashion/make up?
– I was always interested in beauty. I would watch my mom do her makeup in the morning and I would always ask to do it for her. I would also “paint” my cousins nails with the plastic nail polish or actually paint my dad’s nails purple. I was on YouTube for whatever reason one day and I found a Katy Perry makeup tutorial, I stayed up all night that night watching makeup tutorial after makeup tutorial, I’ve been hooked on beauty for as long as I can remember.
What made you decide to make it into a career?
– When I was younger, I would paint my neighbor’s nails and charge them for it as a fun way of earning money, soon after that it became hair that I was fascinated in and it has evolved into makeup. I quickly became known as “the makeup girl” where I live so I thought about doing makeup for prom, weddings, birthday parties, etc. When I started my channel, I realized I could make a few extra dollars off of my channel. As of right now it is my only source of income, being that I am only 15, but I will most definitely pursue this career as I grow older.
When did your career start?
-As mentioned above, I was 12 or 13 when I had my first client for Prom, her name was Holly and I used my own makeup with new palettes that I bought. Soon after that appointment, I came to grounds with how much I enjoyed doing other people’s makeup and it rocketed off from there.
What do you enjoy most about style/fashion?
– Fashionistas are people I envy tremendously. I love clothes and fashion but what I like most about it is the confidence that comes with fashion and personal style. Fashion does not have a look that one person or brand MUST have to be accepted. Fashion comes with who the designer is, they are accepted for themselves and that is what I love most.
Do you have a specific inspiration that keeps you going in your career?
-My subscribers on YouTube. Without my subscribers, I would never have been given any of the amazing opportunities I have been given. Because of my subbies, as I like to call them, I have been able to be accepted for the only person I am, and they love me for it. They do not expect me to fit a mold or change, they expect me to stay true to myself and be in the industry I love, which is why they are my biggest inspiration.
What has been the most memorable experience of your career so far?
– There have been way too many to count. I would have to say New York IMATS (International Make-Up Artist Trade Show) 2013 when multiple subscribers came up to me saying “hi” or “I love your videos!”. Sometimes YouTube only seems like a one way system until you meet the people on the other side watching your videos. It’s an experience I will never forget.
Who have been the most interesting people you’ve met so far?
-Again, I love everyone I meet but I love meeting anyone new at IMATS. Everyone there is so unique and different, I love it. They express them-self in such a way that makes me want to work harder with what I do every day.
What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned. This can be about the industry or about yourself. Or both!
-I learned that not everyone is going to like you. It’s a hard fact to grasp, but once you understand that, everything in life comes so much easier. If I post a tutorial and I will get a comment saying “This is the best look you have done. I love it so much!!” and the next comment will say “This look is disgusting why would you ever wear it?”, it just teaches me that everyone has their own opinion and that’s perfectly fine! If that person doesn’t like the look, great for them, they can go watch another tutorial. I want people who love me for who I am, not this mold that they are making me into, which is why I love YouTube so much.
Is your family supportive of your career?
– My family is my biggest fan club. My mom, Karen, never stops talking about my videos to her friends, she drives me everywhere I need to go for IMATS or an appointment, she is my number one fan, without my mom there is no way I could have ever been here today. My dad, Ross, is the guy with all the connections, he plays a major role in my love for makeup and is a HUGE supporter. He is always asking about YouTube and he’s the one to make the last minute trips to Ulta for mascara wands. My dad is the rock when it comes to my career. My friends help tremendously when it comes to supporting me as well, my three best friends (Emily McMenamin, Hannah Metzler, and Madison Taylor), have always been there right by my side through everything with makeup and I love them for it.
What are your future plans? Inside your career or out of it.
– I am not exactly sure what I want to do but I know I want to be in the makeup industry. Recently I have wanted to work on fashion shows as the head makeup artist, which would put me in New York City, but I love California so I might want to do movie makeup (cosmetic, not theatrical). Having my own makeup line, however, is my biggest dream.
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
Favourite place in the world and why?
– California, specifically Santa Barbara because I have amazing memories there, it is like my second home.
The 5 things you can’t live without?
– My iPhone, my LV Key Pouch, Chapstick, Friends/Family, and Concealer.
What film have you seen more than any other?
– 21 Jumpstreet, ELF, or Mean Girls (It’s a tie!)
3 most important characteristic in a person
– Funny, nice, and caring.
Your best guilty pleasure…
-Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches!
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/macup101