Leslie Alvarado’s resourcefulness and dedication has elevated her to become StarCentral Magazine’s Beauty Guru of the Month for the month of November 2014. She is a 22-year old American born with Mexican parents and she currently resides in Los Angeles, California. Growing up, Leslie admits that she had very little money to support the things she loved but this did not stop her from pursuing her goals. Her brave heart and passion for makeup, fashion and styles made her turn the obstacles to opportunities which led her to be recognised in her field.
The ability to recreate celebrity looks using the cheapest alternative is what Leslie mastered all throughout this time. She believes that self-expression knows no stature as long as you embody your passion in any way possible, may it be through makeup or fashion.
Like her love for fashion, Leslie’s secret love for makeup started to blossom at an early age. She would normally freelance eyebrow threading at school and by the time she reached college, she was already a full-blown makeup artist who made other people feel beautiful about themselves. Leslie was even more thrilled to realise that she can turn her hobby into a fruitful source of money. Moreover, the sweet comments she received from clients had driven her to be more confident in her craft.
YouTube has opened numerous doors to embrace her talent. Its ability to reach as many viewers as it can in a short span of time is truly inconceivable but true enough, her videos did not fail her. At an early age in her YouTube career, Leslie was recognised by Kim Kardashian who posted her favourite Kim Kardashian recreation look on her own blog. It was such a memorable experience for Leslie to feel loved by the celebrity herself and her own makeup artists Atienne Ortega. Her delightful moments continued to flow when Adrienne Bailon and makeup artist BeautybyRokael spotted her beautiful recreation looks on Instagram. Her unwavering faith to her creativity paid off and these accomplishments confirmed that she’s on her way to the top.
Leslie is the type of person who wants to keep in touch with her YouTube subscribers. She makes sure that she communicates with them regularly and she never forgets to acknowledge their works in return. The thought of being able to reach like-minded people from almost all parts of the world excites Leslie. With all the attention she’s getting, her family remains the sturdy rock behind the spotlight that inspires her to be better.
With a degree in Business Administration, Leslie hopes to experience the corporate world while she enjoys making makeup videos and freelancing at the same time. To accomplish her great American dream is something that she would dedicate to her Mexican parents who struggled to give her and her siblings a better life. Leslie speaks of her family in the most admirable way. The motivation that fires up in her eyes is such a force to be reckoned with. At the end of the interview, Leslie Alvarado leaves us with some inspiring words, “No matter what anybody tells you, you are your own type of beautiful. Be pretty inside and doors will open.”
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ ROUND:
1. What is the one beauty product you can’t live without? The #1 beauty product I can’t live without is Mascara. Makes me look awake and feel pretty. – L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara, besides mascara, concealer – Pro Longwear from Mac Cosmetics.
2. What is the most dramatic thing you’ve ever done to change your looks? Dyed my hair a very caramel colour (almost blonde), 3 months later, I dyed it back. I just wanted to try how it would look but it was too much maintenance. I did not feel like myself. I have not dyed my hair ever since.
3. What is in your makeup bag when you travel? L’Oreal True Match Foundation W7, L`Oreal Voluminous Mascara, Maybelline Gel Liner “Blackest Black”, Pro Longwear Concealer by Mac Cosmetics and Nw25, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip brow pomade and Contour Kit, Mac Cosmetics Fix Plus, Mac Cosmetics Pinch me Blush, Mac Cosmetics Kinda Sexy Lipstick, Mac Cosmetics Highlighter Pens “bright forecast”, Highlighter “soft and gentle”, St Ives Scrub – apricot scrub, Cetaphil facial cleanser and Neutrogena Makeup wipes.
4. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? I wouldn’t change anything about myself just because I feel like this is who I am and this is who I was meant to be. I do not think I need to change anything to make myself happier. I have learned to live with all the flaws that I have.
5. Your best guilty pleasure. I always buy lipsticks. I have so many and I continue to keep buying them.