It was the death of her beloved mother, Josie, that finally pushed Velma Perez (StarCentral’s Beauty Guru of the Month for April 2016) into making her love for makeup into a career. “Before she passed all she told me was to not give up! She believed in me, I worked in so many jobs that had nothing to do with beauty. After my mom passed, I had two choices! 1. Go back to work for someone or 2. Get my license to one day open my own studio…” She has now graduated as a cosmetician and has been “happy working with other girls that have the same goals, and passion for skin, nails and makeup as I do. I call them my true friends…”
It was watching her mother get ready for dates with her dad that first opened Velma’s eyes to the world of makeup and style. She also loves that the fashion world gives one the chance to explore their individuality – “I enjoy that you can show who you are, be what you want, and you do not have to be exactly like anyone else! It is amazing, explore your creativity…makeup is makeup! It is fun, it’s an art, people shouldn’t judge others for wearing it, and people that wear it should not judge others who choose not to…” She’s also realised the power of makeup and how satisfying her career in it would be when she did a bride’s makeup for her wedding – “she immediately looked at herself and started crying and saying that she has never looked so pretty…it definitely felt very rewarding…”
Little did the Texas native realise how those times she watched her mother get ready would one day forge the path her life would take. As well as working at the beauty studio (“where I do facials, waxing, massage, nails, makeup, skin peels, pedis and etc.,”), the 32-year old is completing her nursing degree and has also created her own YouTube channel, ‘Justatouchofblush xo’ where she not only shares her knowledge of all things beauty, she also shares her DIY projects as well as empowering life stories. Inspiring her throughout her journey is her daughter, Kaydens, her older brother, John (aka Hulk) and her twin sister, Vanessa (“who is an amazing singer…”), as well as her father, Johnny and of course, the memories of her late son, J.J. and her mother, Josie. Her passion for makeup is also fueled by the connections she made through her channel – “All of us live in different cities, we have different backgrounds, different lives and yet at the end of the day, makeup!!! Connects us and makes us realize we are all the same…”
Makeup is definitely in Velma’s future. As well as continuing her work at the studio and on her YouTube channel, she also hopes to start her ow makeup line one day. But most of all, she wants to set a good example for her daughter, to give her “the motivation for when she grows up, to follow her dreams and not give up…”
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. What is the one beauty product you can’t live without? Highlighter (Becca Champagne pop)
2. What is the most dramatic thing you’ve ever done to change your looks? Bleached my hair Blonde
3. What is in your makeup bag when you travel? Everything !! I cannot travel without my skincare though! Sheet masks, moisturizers also…but definitely a face primer preferably the Nyx Angel Veil, L’Oreal True Match shade W4 foundation, Milani Blush Shade Luminoso, MAC Give Me Sun as bronzer, Ofra Highligther in the shade you dew you, MAC fix plus setting spray, Anastasia pomade for eyebrows is a must!! along with the clear gel. Concealer L.A pro conceal, Powder Cody air spun translucent extra coverage and my Rimmel stay matte powder, eye primer is soft ochre paint pot by mac, mascara is MAC extended play for lower lashes only and for upper lashes is the benefit roller lash. My liquid liner fave of all time is the cheap 2 dollar NYC liquid liner in black. Eye shadows I love are the MAC single shadows, a few faves are soft brown, bamboo, texture, coco bear from makeup geek and nylon from mac, they go with me everywhere, a palette I always bring along is the chocolate bar from Too Faced. My favorite eyelashes are the ardell double ups #204s with the clear duo glue.
4. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? One flaw I would not change about myself are all the little freckles you see on my face when not wearing makeup, it’s how God made me
5. Your best guilty pleasure… My best guilty pleasure would have to be chocolate, like am I wrong? What girl does not like chocolate and of course shopping!!