image via Shutterstock / LuckyImages
Perhaps you’re a seasoned pageant entrant or perhaps you’re looking to break into it all. It helps to know what you’re getting into and to be prepared. We’ve enlisted the assistance of Kate Marsden, owner and director of Kat Eyes Promotions who has actively worked in the industry for over 20 years.
Here Kate sheds some valuable light on the practical aspects of competing in a pageant:
1. Keep your different section items in different bags. Allocate a main bag for all your essential items. You are good to go with no confusion when you need to get changed quickly.
2. Be nice and help others but do not forget to allow yourself adequate preparation time.
3. Always take some makeup of your own. The makeup session that is allocated to you may go slow or not to plan. Occasionally, the look that the makeup artists achieve may not “be you” and you may wish to alter it. Also, if you have a little make up on hand you can do your own last minute touch ups.
4. Don’t be that individual who throws a tantrum. Stay professional and poised at all times. This means when you behind the scenes getting ready as well as on stage. Petty behaviour creates an indelibly negative impression.
5. Take your own snacks and water just in case you feel week or nervous or cannot eat what is offered to you on the day.
6. Have backups on everything e.g. stockings, heels, dresses. If a zip breaks on the day or rip or holes appear, you are covered.
7. Change how you walk for each section. Try to work with your outfit and your music. Generally, it’s more fun and bouncy for the swimwear section and slow and elegant for the evening section.
8. Keep an even pace on stage (don’t let nerves get the better of you and walk too fast) and smile nicely.
9. If you do not win give it another shot next time or just feel great that you tried. Do not let it get you down.
10. Always be true to yourself and act with good will.
Visit Kat Eyes Promotions at: http://www.kateyes.com.au