“I love working hard for something I love doing.” And that’s the attitude that saw Nicole Watts named as Third Runner Up for StarCentral Magazine’s Annual Model Search for 2017. After starting out strutting the runway in resplendent Bing Cristobal fashions, Nicole has fallen hard for the modeling world. She gushes that she loves “everything about modelling, projecting myself in front of the camera, it’s definitely not a job, it has always and will always be a passion of mine…”
The “stressful work environment, long unpredictable hours, maintaining body image, variable pay…” she says are definite challenges in her chosen career, but by far the biggest downside is the hits to one’s self-esteem – “the feeling of not being good enough, insecurities, being self-conscious…” but, the 18-year old has learned, she confesses, “to make the most out of the body I’ve got…there will always be someone out there who is better than you…I stay grounded by staying true to myself and accepting that both success and failure will teach me a lesson…”
A newcomer to the modeling industry (she only began modeling a year ago), Nicole has nevertheless taken on new skills to help her tackle her craft. She shares that she has learned better time management, resilience, confidence and going in prepared. She even pre-plans poses in her head! She confesses that “you will get rejected a lot but hard works pays off in the end…” And that hard work has certainly paid in dividends! Adding to her success at StarCentral Magazine’s annual event, Nicole is also a NSW State Finalist for Miss World Australia 2017.
If her early success is any indication, the half Filipino/half Australian beauty is in for a long career in the modeling industry. Confessing that she loves to “push myself to my own boundaries and limits…” is evidence that she also has the drive and determination for the exciting journey ahead of her. “My future plans are to keep doing what I love to do, this will hopefully, give me pathways to open up new work opportunities that will allow me to take things to the next level…” Good luck on all you’ll do, Nicole!
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. Last good movie I’ve seen A Filipino movie with my mum, Barcelona
2. What do you consider beautiful and why? The word “beautiful” holds more meaning to it than you think. It could mean you have a beautiful soul or a beautiful smile. Everyone has a different perspective but for me different cultures define beautiful.
3. What haven’t you done yet that you wish you could? Skydiving
4. Complete this sentence: “If I had no fear, I’d…” If I had no fear, I’d have no knowledge.
5. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? Being sensitive