So, what do you do if you’re a singer with stage fright? You get on with the show! And this is exactly what Giselle Ducaille (StarCentral’s Female YouTube Artist of the Month for June 2016), does whenever she performs. She conquers her fear as she loves “the connection with the audience. I also love the feeling after performing on stage and knowing that people had a good time…” Her first time on stage “was at a church with the choir of the conservatory where I studied piano…it felt amazing …it was my last year in the conservatory and among a lot of people I was chosen to close the ceremony. I will always remember that moment…”
While the Spaniard songstress enjoys her time on stage, it is songwriting that has truly captured her heart – “As for now I consider music a hobby but I would definitely love to write for other people as a job. As a matter of fact two years ago I was contacted by a writer who wanted me to create a song for his book and those are the kinds of experiences I would like to continue living…” Her YouTube channel showcases her amazing vocal talents as she sings covers as well as her original compositions. She even uploaded a fascinating video where she describes how her original songs come to life, sharing how sometimes a song can take only a half hour to finish, while other songs can take 3 days! “I’ve always enjoyed the whole process of songwriting and I think it is one of the best ways to express yourself and let go of thoughts and feelings…”
Giselle’s time in the industry has certainly exposed the pop/country singer-songwriter to many interesting people and even if she only gets to share a 5-minute conversation with them, she finds herself inspired – “we all have so much to learn from each other…” But by far her biggest source of inspiration is megastar, Taylor Swift – “she is an exceptional singer-songwriter and an incredible businesswoman but most importantly, she’s an unbelievable human being…” Perhaps it is Swift’s example of staying steadfast to one’s identity which is the source of Giselle’s most valuable lesson so far – “You have to stay true to yourself, you can’t pretend to be someone else because in the end staying true and showing your real personality is what makes people connect with you…” And putting in the hard work doesn’t go astray either!
The 21-year old’s (whose family, friends and even “a whole town…are really supportive with everything related to music…”) wonderful talent and obvious love for the art form stand her in good stead to enjoying a long successful career in the music industry.
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. What haven’t you done yet that you wish you could? Since travelling is one of my favourite activities I have to say visiting New York. But the truth is I’m going in July, so I guess my dream will come true sooner than I expected.
2. Favourite place in the world and why? Paris. I’ve been going to Paris every single year since I was born and it is so special to me.
3. The 5 things you can’t live without? music (pretty obvious haha), avocados, Netflix, my bed and my friends.
4. Complete this sentence: “I’m a sucker for…” I’m a sucker for shark films because sharks are my favourite animal and I also happen to love horror movies. So the two combined together are the perfect match.
5. Your best way to combat nerves…. Practicing a lot whatever you’re performing or exposing but also don’t forget about your breathing skills.