Yuan Lin is an experienced model/influencer who’s always organised and who always tries to put in 110% in anything she does. She’s got 2 years’ experience in catwalk, TVC’s and the fashion industry in general. She’s currently studying at the University of Sydney and she loves sports, music, and travel.
StarCentral Magazine recently caught up with Yuan to discuss her journey in the modelling industry and here’s what went down:
1. How did you get into the modelling industry?
I was referred by a photographer, he sent my photos to various modelling agencies and it went from there.
2. What do you like most about being a model?
I gained more body confidence, and I also felt glamorous in front of the camera.
3. The downside to being a model?
There are a lot of judgments regarding my appearance because I’m a model, and sometimes people only look at my physical appearance but not see who I actually am as a person.
On another note, working with beautiful creatures all the time can be quite a pressure too, sometimes I even worry whether or not I’m as pretty as the other models.
4. What has been the most memorable experience of being in the modelling industry so far?
Modelling for my dream brands which is like massive compliments to myself.
5. Who have been the most interesting people you’ve met so far?
The most interesting people I meet are the kind of people who have experienced a lot in life but still retains a childlike innocent heart. I remember when I was a part-time employee in summer, I met an older sister through work. She was very cute. Although she was around 30 or 40 years old, she never felt old. She would come to work all glammed up every day. She also has two very cute puppies. She never puts herself up just because she has more experience than us and she was always joking around. I love her.
6. What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned while in the modelling industry. This can be about the industry or about yourself.
Always be professional, show up on time, keep yourself fit (in a good way), and always be respectful and appreciative of everyone on set.
7. Is your family supportive of you being a model?
Yes absolutely, they’re always there for me, during all the highs and lows.
8. If you could go back in a time machine to the time when you were just getting started, what would you do differently?
I will start to build my connections and social media ASAP because they’re quite important for this industry nowadays.
9. What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Never look down on yourself.
10. What are your future plans? Inside your career or out of it.
I would love to work in those top fashion cities and would love to become a fashion buyer and a successful entrepreneur.
The ‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. Last good movie I’ve seen: the Netflix series <Love, death, and robots>
2. What do you consider beautiful and why? Beauty is being the best possible version of yourself on the inside and out. If a woman doesn’t believe she’s beautiful, she wouldn’t be a real beauty no matter how many people tell her that she is.
3. What haven’t you done yet that you wish you could? To build up my own brand.
4. Complete this sentence: “If I had no fear, I’d ” make birds as my pet.
5. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? Blunt honesty. I’d rather be too honest than fake.