StarCentral’s Sexiest Woman of the Month for June 2016, Romy Grace may only be a young woman, but she’s already done more and been to more places than most people in their lifetime.
Romy’s career began in Central Europe where she was born – “I worked with independent photographers and later for make-up artists…” However, she decided to make her education her top priority and put her modeling career on hold. After moving to Australia, “I decided to start again…” Currently working as a freelance model, Romy enjoys “working with photographers and directors who come up with great creative ideas…” She finds that she most admires those artisans “who think outside the box and are willing to play around with the shoot – in the rain, forest, ocean, water, old buildings… Get out there and shoot real stuff! I prefer those locations rather than studio…my most memorable experience was shooting swimwear underwater, it was fun and really great workout too!”
Because she’s not signed with an agency, the 20-year old still regards modeling as a hobby than as a fully-fledged career but “I enjoy everything about modelling – from styling, set, to the shoot itself and seeing the final results…”To her, “modeling is expressing different sides of myself, and playing around with that in shoots…” But a definite downside to it “is waking up at 3:30 – 4 am to get the best of the morning light! Most of the time it’s worth it, though…”
While the multi-talented Romy (she is also a writer, theatre actress and a lover of interior design) loves the creativity and ever-changing nature of modeling, she also realizes that just focusing on the final product of a shoot can distort one’s view of themselves – “Behind every beautiful image published, there’s another dozen that’s not very good. So it’s important to keep that in mind…” It is undoubtedly a humbling, and grounding, viewpoint – a necessary one to have as one is constantly scrutinized in front of a camera. To survive, Romy has learned to “become more confident with my own body and learned not to take everything personally. If someone doesn’t like my look – it’s purely their opinion, nothing to do with me!” And while she appreciates the beauty of other women, “to me – character, attitude and inner charm is what make woman actually beautiful…”
Currently studying a course in Fitness (the Gold Coast-based beauty plans to also study in interior design and/or sustainable fashion), Romy, who is also “passionate about health and yoga” and who is a proud vegan, has many plans for her future – “my dream would be doing a little bit of everything – modelling, working with fashion labels and creating my own business in interior design…”
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. Last good movie I’ve seen ‘The Intouchables’
2. What do you consider beautiful and why? I find beauty in nature – watching the sunrise, sunsets, ocean, waterfalls or wild animals.. The perfect beauty of our planet always takes my breath away
3. What haven’t you done yet that you wish you could? Design my own clothing line, simple but classy. Made from organic cotton or other quality fabrics
4. Complete this sentence: “If I had no fear, I’d…” try sky diving (I am scared of heights!)
5. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? Honestly, I wouldn’t change anything. It took me a few years, but now I feel like I am finally learning how to be happy with myself as I am.